The database architect develops database solutions by designing proposed systems with defined database physical structures and functional capabilities.
- Determines database structural requirements by analyzing client operations, applications, and programming; reviewing objectives with clients; and evaluating current systems.
- Installs database systems by developing flowcharts, applying optimum access techniques, coordinating installation actions, and documenting all actions.
- Maintains database performance by identifying and resolving production and application development problems; calculating optimum values for parameters; evaluating, integrating, and installing new releases; completing maintenance; and answering user questions.
- Provides database support by coding utilities, responding to user questions, and resolving problems.
- Maintains an understanding of the current and future use of internal and external databases.
- Identifies and recommends new ways to streamline data processes.
- Resolves capacity issues.
- Performs database recovery and backup.
- Advises users on access to multiple databases and helps solve data conflicts.
- Minimizes database downtime and manages parameters to provide fast query responses.
- Works with customers as needed to support database infrastructure and usage.
- Prepares users by conducting training.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Positive and professional attitude and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Certain degree of creativity and latitude.
- Excellent written and communication skills and good interpersonal skills.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Driven and motivated to learn new technology and practices quickly.
- Demonstrates troubleshooting abilities with ability to prioritize.
- Would rather automate than perform the same action manually many times.
- Is self-directed, and can identify potential problem areas proactively.
- Can adapt quickly to changing requirements and short schedules.
The database architect does not have any supervisory responsibilities, but will instruct and direct other members of the team.
- Possession of a Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related field, and 2-4 years of experience managing large-scale relational databases.
- Familiar with database design, documentation, and coding.
- Understands data backup, recovery, security, integrity and SQL.
- Experience with database standards and end-user applications.
- Familiar with application programming interfaces.
- Requires general knowledge of quantitative analytic technique.