The embedded engineer develops concepts and design approaches for new and existing products on services for internal and production use. In this role, the person applies the full engineering development lifecycle as necessary to complete a wide-range of embedded engineering tasks.
- Works as a member of the engineering team.
- Perform tasks involving full engineering lifecycle from requirements review, design, implementation, documentation, peer reviews, as well as test and integration in either simulation or target processor/lab environment.
- Develops and maintains software for internal and external customers that are comprised of:
- Embedded firmware applications programmed in C or other related languages
- Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC)
- Input/Output Interfaces (I/O)
- Human-Machine Interfaces (HMIs)
- Test applications programmed in Visual Basic .NET or other related languages
- Robotic Controller Programming
- Finds, recreates, and proposes solutions for anomalies in the operation of deliverable and internal software systems.
- Documents, tracks, and analyzes these anomalies for use in quality analysis.
- Creates and collects metric data that will help monitor stability and effectiveness of software systems.
- Helps to minimize cost of software development through the use of automated tools and by providing suggestions on procedural changes.
- Follows and provides feedback on procedures used within engineering and other internal organizations related to embedding/controls development, problem resolution, system setup, or other processes. Includes developing a thorough understanding of all engineering processes and procedures. Examples include, having the ability to:
- Analyze and solve problems
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Create, compose, and edit written materials
- Develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures
- Supports and maintains a fundamental understanding of, other organizations in capacities that may extend outside of the area of software engineering and provides support as required.
- Provides escalation support for customer issues and questions on an as needed basis.
- Other duties assigned.
- Requires degree with a focus in Software, Electrical and Computer Engineering or related discipline.
- Requires 4-6 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
- Has 2-4 years developing functional specifications for PLC programming.
- Has 2-4 years experience with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Possesses and maintains a technical understanding of:
- Firmware development
- Embedded controls programming
- Manufacturing, testing, and product service issues
- Manufacturing, quality, customer service and counting technology
- Adjustments to requirements will be made for those with comparative experience
- Has a certain degree of creativity and latitude.
- Have excellent written and communication skills.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Driven and motivated to learn new technology and practices quickly.
- Demonstrates troubleshooting abilities with ability to prioritize.
- Would rather automate than perform the same action manually many times.
- Is self-directed, and can identify potential problem areas proactively.
- Can adapt quickly to changing requirements and short schedules.
- Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within electrical engineering and software development.
- Has experience programming complex embedded systems.
- Has experience with C, C++, Visual Basic .NET and SQL.
- Has worked in the healthcare industry.
The embedded engineer does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
Physical Activities and Requirements
- Ability to reach, sit, push, pull, use fingers, talk, hear, and perform repetitive motions.
- Ability to exert up to 40 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- None: There is no exposure to adverse environmental conditions (such as in a typical office or administrative work).