The release engineer is responsible for the design and development of builds, scripts, installation procedures, and systems, including source code control and issue tracking.
- Examines and designs an automated process to build, package, and distribute software.
- Analyzes and splits the current product into smaller, manageable installation packages.
- Works with IS Support to create and manage a build server, the development servers, and the system test servers.
- Works as a technical resource to the quality assurance team to ensure that they have a reliable environment to test the quality of our software.
- Runs automated processes on the build server to retrieve code from TFS, builds the relevant code bases, and packages the build using InstallShield.
- Runs automated processes to update the various SQL scripts that are related to each build on the various Microsoft SQL Servers.
- Ensures that the resulting InstallShield package is dropped and installed on the quality assurance server daily.
- Works closely with a quality assurance team to provide final versions of software that meets organizational standards.
- Documents and supports the simulators and test drivers required to test internal and deliverable software.
- Develops, analyzes, and maintains tools that support and automate processes for software product releases.
- Coordinates code deployments in all environments.
- Debugs deployment issues.
- Monitors the performance of existing systems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Positive and professional attitude and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Certain degree of creativity and latitude.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Driven and motivated to learn new technology and practices quickly.
- Demonstrates troubleshooting abilities with ability to prioritize.
- Would rather automate than perform the same action manually many times.
- Is self-directed, and can identify potential problem areas proactively.
- Can adapt quickly to changing requirements and short schedules.
The release engineer does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
- Possession of a Bachelors degree in a related area and 2-4 years of experience in the field or a related area.
- Experience building software installation files, installing and maintaining software environments, managing software configurations, and using scripting and/or development languages.
- Experience with Microsoft Visual Studio, Power Shell, InstallShield, Team Foundation Server, and Windows Server.