The software test engineer performs standard testing processes on a variety of equipment and records and analyzes results. The position records data from testing in standard formats and provides results to product and engineering teams, and assists technical teams with recommendations to resolve testing problems, roadblocks, or equipment malfunctions that impact the performance or validity of testing.
- Finds and recreates anomalies in the operation of deliverable and internal software systems. Once an anomaly is discovered, the problem(s) are appropriately documented and, to the extent necessary analyzed to determine the cause. Requires ability to clearly communicate with the software developers in a concise and non-confrontational manner.
- Develops system test plans for system release testing both new functionality and existing functionality. Executes these test plans and tracks their effectiveness. Makes updates as needed.
- Participates in the design phase of software development to gain an understanding of the testing requirements for each release of the system.
- Documents, and supports the simulators and test drivers required to adequately test internal and deliverable software. All software will be written in accordance with established standards and conventions.
- Actively seeks to minimize cost of testing using automated testing tools and advanced testing methodologies.
- Coordinates with Customer Service to investigate problems identified by customers, provides workarounds and notification of resolution. Sorts problems by relative importance and maintains an up to date list of issues.
- Interacts with other engineering groups to define, document, analyze, perform, and interpret tests for products, systems, components, or modifications.
- Reviews and understands the implementation and design of both hardware and software.
- Composes memos, transcribes notes, generates reports, and researches and creates presentations for internal and external use as needed on a project basis.
- Monitors the performance of existing systems.
The software test engineer does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
- Requires an associate’s degree with a focus in computer information systems/
- Requires 2-4 years of experience in the field or a related area.
- Has 2-4 years of experience with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Has experience with writing database queries (particularly SQL).